Written by American Standard on December 12, 2017, updated November 15, 2019
Your American Standard Walk-In tub is built for years of comfort and therapeutic care, and proper maintenance of your tub is key to getting the most out of it. While your walk-in tub is relatively easy to maintain, there are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind when cleaning.
Here, we will outline the three cleaning cycles you should go through with your tub: daily cleaning, weekly or monthly cleaning, and deep cleaning. All of these cleaning cycles will make sure your tub is safe, clean, and perfect for relaxation and restoration.
After every use, you should do a surface-level cleaning of your tub to ensure that it is clean and safe for the next use. After your bath:
1) Rinse off tub and fixtures with warm water to clean off any body oils or soap residue.
2) Set the shower wand to “warm” to wash out your tub.
Weekly & Monthly Cleaning
After a few weeks of regular use, soap residue, body oils, and other materials may start to build up on your tub. This is why you should do a bit of a deeper clean on your tub either weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly (whichever fits your schedule and needs appropriately). But rest assured, doing this regular maintenance is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Fill the tub with hot water to about seat height.
- Add in 2-3 tablespoons of low-foaming detergent, such as liquid dishwasher machine detergent.
- Run the jets for about 10 minutes to activate the detergent.
Once you have run the soap around your tub, drain it completely, fill it with clean water, and run the jets again for 15 minutes. This serves as your rinse cycle.
Finally, we recommend doing a deep cleaning of your tub every month or two. This aggressive cleaning helps to ensure that everything in your walk-in tub continues to function properly and that it stays as clean as possible.
- Fill the tub to seat height.
- Grab a pair of rubber gloves and safety glasses to avoid injury from splashing.
- Add two tablespoons of dishwashing detergent granules and a ½ cup of bleach.
- Continue to fill the tub with hot water until the water level is above the jets.
- Turn on the water and/or air jets and run them for about 15 minutes. Turn them off and let sit for 5 minutes, then run the jets for another 15 minutes.
- Drain the tub and fill it with clean water.
- Run the jets with the clean water for about 15 minutes to rinse out the tub.
Things to Remember
We have built all of our walk-in tubs to stand up to regular use and we back all of our products with our lifetime warranty. That being said, you will still want to take some precautions when cleaning your tub. Below are our suggested tips and tricks:
- Never use harsh scrubbers on your tub, such as metal scrapers, wire brushes, water barrier wallboard, or other harsh, abrasive tools. These tools can scratch and dull the surface of your tub.
- Only use mild household detergents when cleaning your tub, such as dishwashing detergent. We recommend using Cascade Gel or Finish Gel
- Light scratches and dulled areas may be restored by rubbing an automotive cleaning compound into the scratches.
- Never run the jets when the tub is dry.
Think you’re ready for a walk-in tub of your own? Request a free in-home estimate today!